Search This Blog

Monday, October 3, 2011

"Waking Hours" by Lis Wiehl with Pete Nelson Book Review

This story is about a high school girl, who was found brutally murdered in the town of East Salem.  They call in forensic psychiatrist, Dani Harris, to help the DA unravel the mystery behind her death.  All the suspects are teenagers who were at a party with the girl—yet no one remembers what happened. Could one of them be a vicious killer?  Along with this murder, Dani is also dealing with her own night time traumas, of waking at 2:13 every evening, from a dream filled with water, blood, or destruction.  Weird things are happening around the town, as well--like the deer caught in the high rise electric lines. 

She also has to deal with her emotions over her parents death, as well as those for Tommy Gunderson, an NFL pro football player, whom she had gone to high school with, and they had unspoken feelings for each other back then, but hadn't seen each other since.  Tommy comes alongside her to help unravel this mystery.

I have read all of Lis Wiehl's other books, and this is the first book, I believe, that she has had published under Thomas Nelson.  I really enjoyed all her other books, and looked forward to this book.  I thought the book was very well written.  Had me interested from the start.  I probably shouldn't have read it right before bed, because it was spooky!  I liked it when it just dealt with the physical aspect of solving the crime, but didn't care when they went into the spiritual spooky aspect of the story, where there is a night time visitor that passes through the walls of the house, etc. 

I did enjoy the book, and I had my nose in the book, every chance I could!  I just wish they would have given solid answers to some of the spiritual spooky stuff--unless that was their intent?  Still am confused a bit. . .

I received an advanced reading copy of the book free from the publisher through the Booksneeze program.  I am not required to write a positive review, just an honest one.  The opinions I have expressed are my own.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s  “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your review and your sense of humor. I agree the book was a little spooky. Maybe that is why they released it this month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to mention, that I did like that they had the chapters broken down into days. I'm sure that is why they released it this month, because the story was set in October.

    ReplyDelete