Search This Blog

Thursday, October 2, 2014

Why I homeschool

I was asked recently, "Why do you homeschool?"  I was shocked, as I haven't been asked that question in a LONG time!  LOL  And, I probably mumbled some unintelligible reply.  But, I have been musing over the question--why do we homeschool?  It's been 25 years ago, since Pastor and I decided to home educate the children.  No, it's not been easy.  Yes, there were days I wondered if I was doing the right thing.  But, with 7 children graduated, and seeing the fruit--it has been worth it all.  All the blood, sweat, and tears!!  And, only 3 children to go!

Home educating is a LOT of work--I mean really!!!  We have to do all the planning, preparation, grading, teaching, testing, and the list goes on. And on top of all the school work--we have all the housework, too--cooking, cleaning, and don't forget Mount Never Rest (aka laundry).  But--what else is more rewarding??  I LOVE teaching new readers--really!  It is so exciting for me, to see them learn how to read.  I have successfully taught 9 of the children how to read -- and it was a thrill each and every time.  I am still working with my son with Down Syndrome.  And--for the first time, he started to read words.  That was a thrill multiplied to an exponential degree!!!  Lots of work with him, but it is beginning to pay off.

Back to why do we home educate.  I guess what it really boils down to, is: We feel it is directed by God.  Deuteronomy 6:7 says, "And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up."  How else can you teach the things of God diligently in these 4 times in the day (when you get up, sitting in your house, on the way, and at night time), unless you are home educating?

I want my children to learn Godly character.  It seems to be lacking in this day and age.  I also want our children to be like Psalms 144:12 "That our sons may be as plants gown up in their youth; that our daughters may be as corner stones, polished after the similitude of a palace."

I want my children to learn science the right way-- I want them  to know that God made the world (and all that is therein), and it didn't just happen by chance, or evolution.

I want my children to learn history the correct way--that history is really His Story.  And, yes, the Holocaust really did happen.  And, yes, our Founding Fathers had it right when they penned the Constitution and Declaration of Independence.

I want my children to learn the ways of God--to be able to bring their Bible to school (LOL), and to pray in school.  To learn why they are here (do you think they teach THAT in public school??).  That there is a loving God, who loved them so much, to give His only Son for each of us.

So, we are taking this time, of home education, to sharpen the arrows (Psalm 127:4) that He has given us--so that we can shoot them out into the world, and they would be straight, and hit their mark.  I want them to do great things for God.


Now, Home educating is NOT for everyone!!  LOL  And I know some people who home school,  who should NOT be home schooling.  :)  It is a lot of work.  Did I say that already??  But, it is amazing.  To see a child unlock the reading code, or understands a new math principle--it is so thrilling.  But, not only am I a teacher--I am a learner.  I am learning so many new things--things about my children, things about myself, as well as things in history (or science, or. . .) that I may have forgotten, or it wasn't taught.

Who knows my children, and their abilities, better than me?  I know their strengths, weaknesses, and learning styles better than anyone.  And, the children are NOT cookie cutter children!  One program of math, or phonics (or fill in the blank), may work well for one child, but, for another child--it may be sheer torture! Not only for that child, but also for me!!  I can not remember how many different math programs we have used through the years.  It's a lot.  Probably almost as many programs as I have children.  hee hee.  Would they get this flexibility from a public school?  Definitely not. I don't even think they would get it from a Christian school.   I can see what appeals to each child, and what would be the best way to go about getting them to understand each concept.  

I love to take Bible verses, and apply them to daily living.  What can we learn from 4 words in the Sermon on the Mount, "And seeing the multitudes"?  Well, we can learn about eyesight--myopia, and hyperopia.  Now--apply myopia to ourselves--myopia is nearsightedness, then it would be a me-vision, only concerned with myself.  And hyperopia is farsightedness, so that would be overlooking the needs of those around me.  Do I see as God sees?  How did Jesus see people?  How should I see people?  This is just a start.

Is home educating for you?  It is a calling.  If God has called you, He will equip you.

Blessings!



4 comments:

  1. For the majority of my life I was completely against MLM companies. Truly, I avoided them and their 'parties' at all costs. Then I was assigned a project back in college on essential oils. I was fascinated at what I had learned and knew this was something I wanted to incorporate Into my life. This got put on the back burner after graduation and I went back and glanced at my EO information occasionally but never fully dug back in. Then, when My husband and I found out we were being blessed with our first child, I went hard on the research again, looking for an EO company I could trust,studying essential oils and their uses, again. I must have called 20 companies asking about their practices and how they could verify, to me, the quality and purity of their oils. (Further than just saying they are pure) Two companies, just two were all that would provide me the information I was looking for, and one was the only company able to actually show me the quality and purity of their oils and how hard they are willing to work to make sure they are offering a safe and quality product, this was how I decided what I was willing to use on my precious Children. My gifts from God!

    My family, like most, have experienced hard times in the past, which we have always turned to The Lord for. Just as I did when it was time to start thinking about school, preschool to be exact. I knew I did not want my children to go to school, I truly always wanted to homeschool my children however some of the hardships we had experienced had made that a very slim possibility at the time. So I turned to prayer as I always do, Lord if it is your will for my children to be homeschooled please guide me along the path that will allow for this to be a reality. After months of praying I had people coming to me to learn about my essential oils and it just happened to turn into a source of income that had allowed us to have more time home with our children, homeschool, allowed is to become more active in our church, assist those who need help financially, and do so many great things! Which could be none other than an act of God.

    I can appreciate your concern over the descriptions of some oils, however, I would doubt that anybody is forcing you to use those oils. But for those who are looking for a non chemical option to assist in their struggles it can be of great assist to them. After all, God's medicine is better than mans. Never is there an intent with the company I am a part of to replace God, it is quite the opposite! Actually to enhance peoples spiritual beliefs and their beliefs that The Lord really has provided for us what we need on this earth!

    I encourage you to look deeper and get to know people further before passing judgement on them as a whole. Many of the people in MLM essential oil companies are good, and holy individuals and families whom are just looking to provide their families with pure ways to assist in their health, and many if those men and women are very much like you, and I, with strong faith, just wanting to be able to help provide for their families while also homeschooling, having more time for their church, their families, and to just live more peacefully! Regardless of who you are buying from, essential oils or otherwise, you are making them money to pay all of the people who also work in that organization/business. From the owner, ALL the way down to the "bottom rung" as you call it. :)

    I hope that some day, we are able to meet, so you can get to know me as the devoted, loving, wife and mother, and woman of God that I am, before you find out my occupation and pass me off as some 'God replacing, money hungry, MLM oiler'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Anonymous,
      Thank you so very much for taking the time to write! I know as a home educating mom--time is precious!

      I just want to first state that this is my personal blog, and I just was voicing MY opinions, and MY convictions.

      I was also voicing some concerns I had with the descriptions being so steeped in New Age philosophy. No one is forcing me to use those oils, but I have a very hard time supporting a company that has so much New Age teaching in it, when there are other good companies (and some Christian) out there, with just as good a product as the MLM's.

      I applaud your thorough research, in calling all the companies! That took a lot of time and effort. Although it may have been only 2 companies years ago, today, there are quite a few more companies out there that are offering great products.

      I do not doubt your devotion to God, your husband or your children. I have friends who are involved in MLM companies, and we get along great. :) I'm not saying that someone cannot be involved in MLM companies--these were just MY convictions.

      Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
    2. I am a pastor and we home educate our children. I have some concerns about some of the New Age philosophies that have crept into the home school movement. I understand how it has happened. We want to be self sufficient and not rely so much on the outside world. Many are even home churched even though God set up three institutions: the family, the church, and the government and they all have their place. They are not to replace each other. I won't get started on that, but the point is that the church is there to help families. One of the ways the church helps the family is to keep it from doctrinal error and to help the family discern right from wrong.

      Now I know that even church going families can fall prey to error. All of us can and that is why I am responding to this post.

      We cannot mix Christianity with New Age principles. We now have Christian Witches, Christian Paganism, etc.

      There is the principle of the clean and unclean in the Bible. Haggai 2:13 (KJV) 13 Then said Haggai, If one that is unclean by a dead body touch any of these, shall it be unclean? And the priests answered and said, It shall be unclean.

      You can't take something clean and add something unclean to it and make it clean. You can't take something unclean and add something clean to it and make it clean. In either case it is unclean. You can't take a good essential oil and add New Age teaching to it and make it clean. It becomes unclean.

      What bothers me is that people say you just have to overlook the New Age in it. You can't. 1 Corinthians 5:6 (KJV) Your glorying is not good. Know ye not that a little leaven leaveneth the whole lump?

      Let us not rationalize this away. It is, "Thus sayeth the Word of God" not "Thus sayeth the word of man." This is the modernist and postmodernist doctrine of the New Age Movement.

      Let us not forget that behind this whole New Age Movement is Satan himself.



      Delete
    3. Dear Anonymous,
      Thank you so much for taking the time to respond!

      Yes, the New Age Movement is so dangerous! I appreciate your thoughts into this.

      I have said almost the same thing to the children, but on a level they understand. For instance--if I were to make a cake (which is good) and put just a small amount of poison (the bad) into it, would the cake be edible?? Absolutely not! So, to have essential oils (which are good), and add the New Age teaching (the bad)--does it still remain good??

      Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete