Search This Blog

Monday, April 17, 2017

Passing On God's Mighty Work to Our Children

Oh, how I love Psalm 44:1, "We have heard with our ears, O God, our fathers have told us, what work you did in their days. . ."  We read this verse a couple days ago in our normal morning Bible reading, and I have been thinking about this.

We, as parents, need to be telling our children the ways that God answered prayers, or things that God has taught us, etc.

One thing we used to do, was have a prayer journal.  We would write out each prayer request, and the date that we started praying as a family.  Then, when God would answer that petition (no, it wasn't always how we thought it would be answered), we would write that date down as well.  How powerful it was--to look back at all the answered prayers!!  Some were small (where did that child's shoe go???), and some were big.  But, it showed the children that God does hear us when we pray.

We also need to be passing on things that God has done in our lives.  What has God spoken to you about?  Tell them the times when your faith was put to the test.  Tell them what you did right (or wrong), and how God was still able to use this for His glory.  Our children need to see that God still moves.  And, it not only strengthens their faith, it also strengthens our faith.

Sometimes, we might need to write it down in a journal--because how often (and quickly) do we forget?  I know, just by going back through my blog, or on Facebook, I look at a post, and think, "Wow--I totally forgot about that!"  (I know--old age, but still--it helps to have it written down.)

Now, excuse me, while I gather my children and tell them the story of the time I gave all my money to the Lord, and how God was faithful to me, and supplied my every need. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment