Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Garden Musings

I was out this morning, weeding the garden (and rock picking!).  I had a really nice time with the Lord!  I do not like to garden.  I don't like to get dirty, or hot, and I don't like bugs.  But, this morning, it was enjoyable.

I know why Adam and Eve liked to walk and talk with God in the cool of the morning.  It is so peaceful, and quiet--no distractions, just them & God.

As I was weeding, I was thinking of how our life is so much like my little garden.  Weeds grow up--trying to choke out, and use up the good nutrients for our fruit (vegetable) producing plants.  I had some weeds, that had wrapped themselves right around the plants.  Gently, tenderly, I removed them.  God is like the gentle, tender gardener--helping to remove those things that get our mind off Him, that crowd out our walk with Him.  So, I will gently remove the weeds closest to the plants--but, beware of the ones in the rows, I am ruthless with my little digger!!!  So, what things are choking out your walk with the Lord??  Are you enjoying your time with the Lord??

We need to water that garden,too,  and the water for our Spiritual Life, is reading the Bible.  (here is where that part of the analogy breaks down--because I can overwater my garden, but, a person can never over water their Spiritual garden--you can never overload on reading the Bible too much!) 

Another thought I had, was--vegetable bearing plants are only hear for a season, and they have one purpose to be here--to produce!   We, each one of us, is only on this earth for a season--am I being productive for the Lord??  Am I bearing much fruit for Him?  Are you??

I'm a little different when it comes to my plants.  :)  I talk to them.  I tell them how the Creator has made them, and that they are here to provide food for my family, and how they are doing such a great job.  I got to thinking--I wonder how often God is waiting for us to talk to Him, as He yearns for our praise and adoration, and communion.   I love the verse that says, "Seek ye the Lord while He may be found, call upon Him while He is near." Psalm 55:6

So, are you seeking God?  Have you had your rich, quiet time with the Lord??

2 comments:

  1. Can I use this as a sermon? I could copy it word for word.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was absolutely BEAUTIFUL! I am sorry I had not read it sooner... what beautiful thoughts and musings... maybe we should ALL garden, if the Lord can do something that beautiful when 'we' are doing something we really don't like to do! May you be richly blessed, because everyone reading your post WILL be blessed!

    ReplyDelete