Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

First days of summer vacation!! Woo Hoo!!

Yesterday was our first day of summer vacation.  Yippee!!

So, what did I do??  I asked on Facebook, what I should do--work, or take it easy, and got a couple responses--telling me to take time off, and not do any projects.  I'm not a procrastinator.  :)  So, I got right to work.  Dan and I mowed our lawn.  Dan used the riding lawn mower, and I used the push mower (I've been doing that lately, as I need the exercise!)  I go around all the trees, jungle gym, pool, garden, etc.  It makes it easier for the person on the rider.  I'm so glad we got the lawn mowed, as last night, and all day today, it rained.

I also have fixed Matthew's bike, for the umpteenth time.  Hoping this time, it stays fixed!  I also did a bunch of sewing yesterday.  And, I am working to fix our glider rocking chair, as it broke a spring.  How's that for 1 day??


Yes, we got our pool up, and most shockingly---I planted a garden!!!  Well, I guess you could call it a garden.  It's about the size of a toddler's shoebox.  LOL  Well, it's a little bigger than that.  I have planted 3 asparagus plants, 2 rhubarbs, 2 blackberry, 1 raspberry, 2 heirloom tomatoes, and some green beans.  Mostly perennial plants, which is what I prefer!

We have had crazy weather.  We had 2 very nice, hot days--it got to 103 degrees!!  Then, it dropped down to 50.  Yesterday was a nice day, in the 70's, but now it's cold and rainy.

Today, I did a small amount of cleaning.  I got a new computer for my birthday, and I'm trying to get things up and running on it.  Getting older has it's challenges in trying to figure things out.  :)

We found a newborn black manx kitten, abandoned by it's mother.  We tried to help it, fed it with a dropper, but it died the next morning.  It had some problems.  I won't go into details, but it was GROSS!

I've also been painting!!  I think the little picnic table is all done, now!  Yippee!!  For a while, I was sporting Green and Yellow highlights in my hair.  I had offers to give anyone free green and yellow highlights, as well, but no one took me up on it.  Rick and I painted a wood picnic table green and yellow (it looks sharp), that we were given.  I think it took 5 coats of paint!  Ben finally told us to use a roller--not only did it save time, but it covered it well.  Then, I looked at the little children's picnic table, and that needed some work!  So, after scrubbing it down, putting primer on, it matches the grown up picnic table.

We've acquired some new stuff for our back yard.  We got a screened in gazebo from my parents, a swing from Josiah and Sarah that I really enjoy,  and we bought a fire pit, and a hammock.  We have really enjoyed the fire pit--eating s'mores, and cooking hot dogs, and we got some pie makers, too!  First, I had gone to Wally World, to get some pie makers.  They had some for $10, but were so cheaply made.  I was discouraged.  The poles were bent, and the handles were plastic and swiveled.  Not safe at all!!!  So, dh had the idea to go to Scheels, and they had some really nice, cast iron ones!!!  Regularly $15, and I got them 1/2 off!!!!!!  We have made cherry pies in them, as well as a grilled cheese sandwich, and some Reubens!  I love summer!  Have you ever used those really big marshmallows??  They are fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment